If you are a day trader, there are three important points which you should look in a broker.
1) Brokerage – For a day trader, brokerage can mean whether you are profitable or not in the long run. It is extremely important for a day trader that brokerage are as low as possible. You should look at discount broker as they have some of the lowest brokerage in India right now.
2) Margin – This is also something which is important for you if you are into day trading but remember that this is a double edged sword. It could be profitable for you but at the same time it open your trade for huge losses also. As a day trader, you should always have stop loss on every trade. Full service broker generally provide much higher margin limits but nowaday discount broker also provide higher margins with the use of complex order types like Cover Order which define your losses at the time of the trade.
3) Time of cut off – This is also important for you if you to intraday trade as someone who starts putting a cut off time of 2:45 would invariably mean that you have 20 mins less than a broker who provide cut-off time of 3:15.
4) Number of stock – Every broker have a list of stock which they provide for intraday. Check first with the broker if they have the stocks which you trade in. Almost all the brokers provide large cap stock for intraday trading, put few provide small cap stock for intraday trading. So this is something which you should look at while looking for a stock broker.
Based on these points, I have tried to put in the list of top 3 brokers which would be best fit for day traders.
|S. NO||Broker Name||Brokerage|
|1||Zerodha||0.01% or Rs 20 per trade
whichever is lower
|2||Upstox||Rs. 20 per trade|
|3||Angel||0.03% per trade|
1) Zerodha: This is one of the largest discount broker in India with more than 150,000 clients. They started the discount broking in India in 2010 with a fixed brokerage structure.
They charge .01%( 1 paisa) per trade upto Rs 2 lakhs. (which is Rs 20 brokerage). If you have a trade of more that Rs 2 lakh, the brokerage is capped at Rs 20. So for any trade whether it is Rs 5 lakh or Rs 20 lakh, the maximum brokerage you would have to pay is capped at Rs 20.
Apart from this, they have a state of the art trading platform called PI and browser based platform called Kite. They also have apps for playstore/appstore called KITE. They provide advanced order like bracket order, cover order to trade for intraday traders. To open account with them, just click on the buttom below and provide your details.
2) Angel Broking: They are one of the largest full service broker in India and have more than 10 lakh clients trading with them. There brokerage is a little higher and they charge brokerage of .03%(3 paisa) for intraday trading which is high compared to discount broker but if you look at their customer service, it is better than discount broker. Angel provide a dedicated dealer you can trade with and also provide you advisory service free of cost. So if you are looking for a broker from whom you can take advice, then you can open account with them.
They also provide T+6 day trading when you buy the stock, which means you can convert the position from intraday to delivery and vice versa upto 6 day. There is a nominal interest rate which is charged on this though.
3) Upstox: This is the second largest discount broker in India having around 30,000 clients. They have similar brokerage structure as Zerodha and charge .01% or Rs 20 whichever is lower per trade for intraday. They also have an awesome trading app called UpstoxPro which provides lots of feature right on your mobile phone.
They also provide advanced order like Bracket order and Cover order to there clients. They have also started online account opening so that the customer can fill the form online and start trading in 10 mins.
Hope this article would have helped you on what to look in a day trading broker and how you should choose them. In case of any question, do let me know and I will try to answer then to the best of my knowledge. You can read further review of the best broker to trade with on Top 10 brokers in India.