Upstox (formerly RKSV Securities), is one of India’s top discount broking firms specializing in the zero brokerage costs model. Founded by Ravi Kumar, Raghu Kumar and Shrini Viswanath, Upstox now accounts for 2% of daily turnover of NSE. Upstox’ customers can trade on BSE, NSE and starting in 2016 on MCX. (approx. Rs. 7000 crore daily traded turnover)
Upstox is backed by Mr. Ratan Tata, Kalaari Group and GVK Davix and prides itself as the technology-first low cost brokerage firm. The cutting-edge trading platform is built in-house by the team of engineers at Upstox’ head office at Sunshine Towers in Lower Parel, Mumbai. Traders and investors can use the sophisticated charting tools on Upstox Pro Web and Mobile platforms in order to analyze the markets and make profits.
Upstox offers free brokerage on equity delivery trading and trading in Equity F&O, Equity IntraDay, Commodities and Currency Derivatives can be done for a flat fee of Rs. 20 per order traded irrespective of the order volume. What that means is even if you trade 10 lots of NIFTY in one trade, the brokerage would still be Rs 20. Upstox also provide trading facility in Mutual funds and you can manage the account from one screen making it easier for customer to trade.
In 2017, Upstox launched E-Aadhaar account opening system making it possible to open account completely online. You just need your Aadhaar Card number and PAN Number in order to open an account with Upstox. It is completely paperless and easy to use.
Upstox is also a registered member of CDSL and NSDL and is eligible to provide Depository Participant (DP) services. The company remains a registered member of NSE, BSE and MCX in the name of RKSV Securities.
Upstox Video review with all details
Upstox focuses on educating and training people about the financial markets and how to profit through them. Trade Academy, the educational-arm of Upstox, has been conducting online classes to train aspirants across India and abroad about everything from basics of the stock markets to options trading strategies to introducing algorithmic trading to experts in the industry. Trade Academy runs free and premium online courses that are attended by large number of audience every day.
In order to make sophisticated trading experience accessible to all, Upstox offers LoginLess feature on their Upstox Pro mobile app. Loginless allows you to do many things, without even an account, such as:
- Easily search for stocks, even the complex ones
- Access all NSE cash, Futures and Options and Currencies scrips
- Use cutting edge charting tools
- Create charts with multiple intervals, drawing studies and types
- Apply 100+ technical indicators on real-time charts
- Set unlimited no. of price alerts for instant updates
- Create unlimited customized watch-lists
- Receive real-time market feeds to stay on top of your scrips
- Access predefined watch-list of Nifty 50
Once you have downloaded the app, you can easily open a paperless trading account with Upstox and start placing trades.
Click here to watch the Loginless video!
Upstox Margin 2018
Margins provided by Upstox – Customers get intraday leverage of 15x on Equities for FNO listings, 2x for scrips with 20% circuit limit, 3x on NSE F&O, 3x on BSE/NSE Currency F&O and 2.5x on MCX Commodity Futures.
Special Margins for Cover Order or Bracket Order – 20x on NSE/BSE Cash, upto 6x in NSE Futures, upto 4x in Currency futures, upto 3x in MCX.
Upstox Brokerage Charges 2018
Upstox’s brokerage plan is simple and attractive. Trade in Equity Delivery is completely free and for all other segments you pay only Rs 20 per order executed.
|Equity Delivery Based Trades||Zero|
|Equity Intraday Trades||0.01% per trade|
|Equity Futures/Options||Rs 20 per trade|
|Currency Futures/Options||Rs 20 per trade|
|Commodity Futures||Rs 20 per trade|
Upstox account opening charges/ Annual Maintenance charges for 2018
|Trading Account Opening Charges (One Time)||Rs 150|
|Demat account Opening Charges||Rs 150|
|Trading + Demat account opening charges (Paid online )||Rs 300|
|Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges (from second year)||Rs 150|
- Call and Trade feature is available at Rs. 20 per call order. This is charged when you call Upstox to place a trade for you. So they will be a give fit for you if you are comfortable trading online.
- Digital Contract notes are sent via Email. Physical copies of contract notes can be ordered at additional charge of Rs. 25 per contract + courier charges.
- Instant payment gateway charges for over 20 banks – Rs 7 per fund transfer. Max transfer limit to 2 Lakhs Rs per day.
- Money withdrawals charges applies as per RBI guidelines.
- Standard NSE charges, transaction charges and statutory levies are charged.
For STT, Stamp Duty, Service Tax and SEBI Charges please visit Upstox brokerage and commission charges.
Upstox Referral Program
Upstox’ referral program offers existing customers the chance to earn additional money in brokerage credit by referring their friends to open an account and trade with Upstox. A special dashboard is created for existing customers so that they can track their earnings from referrals.
Upstox Margin/Exposures and Intra-day Leverage
- Upstox Margin for NSE Cash/BSE Cash– Upstox offers upto 20X for stock listed in F&O, upto 2X for stocks with 20% circuit breaker for all MIS (Intraday) Orders. For CO and BO orders, a combined basket of F&O underlying and NIFTY CNX 200 scrips are offered a leverage of upto 20x.
- Upstox Margin for Equity Futures– Upstox offers upto 6X leverage for CO and BO Orders, whereas 4x leverage in case of MIS orders.
- Upstox Exposure for Options Buying Trading– Upstox offers 1.3X leverage for CO and BO Orders and No leverage in MIS for Options buying.
- Upstox Exposure for Equity Options Selling – Upstox offers upto 4X leverage for all selling options.
- Upstox Margin for Currency Futures– Upstox offers upto 4X leverage for MIS/CO and BO orders.
- Upstox Margin for Commodity– Upstox offers upto 3X margin in Non Agri commodities with CO orders and 2.5x for MIS orders.
Upstox commodity margin 2018
For MCX trade, margin of upto 3X times is provided for both selling and buying. Leverage is provided for intraday trades and the same are squared off 30 mins prior to the market close.
Account Opening with Upstox
For online trading with Upstox, an investor or a trader has to open a simple 2-in-1 account (Trading and Demat). Account opening is the easiest with Upstox. Starting in 2016 Upstox pioneered Paperless account opening system. Now you just need your Aadhaar Card Number and PAN Number to open an account online. Gone are the days of filling out multiple forms, signing, printing and sending them to the broker in mail.
Here are the ways to open an account with Upstox:
- Fill out the details in the online form here.
- Contact Phone Number: +91-22-6130-9999
- Contact email: [email protected]
- Registered Office: Upstox, 807 New Delhi House, New Delhi 110001
- Corporate Office: 30th Floor, Sunshine Tower, Senapati Bapat Marg, Dadar (W), Mumbai, 400 013
Upstox (RKSV) Web, Mobile app and Desktop base trading platform – 2018
Upstox provides web browser and mobile app based trading platforms to its users.
Upstox Pro Web – With more and more people moving towards online trading, Upstox has turned their web-based trading platform into the most sophisticated and cutting-edge tool which helps traders and investors to calculate fast and place trades in live markets quickly. It is a light-weight browser-based platform that you can access on your computer, laptop or tablet–without having to download anything. Trading with Upstox means that you can say Goodbye to those large .exe files that crowd your desktop.
Upstox Desktop – One of the most reputed trading platform “Omnesys NEST” is the official trading terminal for Upstox. This trading terminal is a one-stop shop for your trading needs, from advanced charting to quick order placement, portfolio, fund transfer, margin report and Market Watch. Customizable interface, Multi Monitor support, customizable hotkeys and shortcuts.
Key features of Upstox Pro are:
- Fast market feeds
- Trade on all exchanges & all segments with a single Sign In
- Real time quotes
- Instant notifications
- Bank transfer available with 40+ banks.
- Real time margin – alert for margin changes
- One click trades.
- Keyboard shortcuts – like desktop, you can use shortcuts for trading in the browser of your choice.
- Account balance, historical reports, daily order status reports and much more.
Final thought about Upstox
They are one of the few discount broker who are trying to provide decent service to their clients. There brokerage and services are at par with Zerodha and a case can be made that there platform is more reliable on big new days (Budget, election) compared to Zerodha. If you are interested in opening account, we would advise you to talk to both Zerodha and Upstox and that take a final call.